For many people, professional sports careers are at the top of the dream jobs wish list. Many kids watch sporting events with their parents and aspire to become professional athletes when they grow up. Even adults aspire and work hard in the hopes of landing a sports contract. The physical demands of professional sports are intense, but so are the rewards. With professional athletes representing the best among the best in the world in what they do, they are often rewarded with very lucrative deals that will leave the average person wide-eyed with envy.
The highest-paid athletes are playing in leagues with a huge global fan base. Because millions of fans are willing to pay top money to watch their games and buy merchandise, the top players also receive contracts amounting to tens of millions every year. Here is a list of the highest-paying sports in the world:
- Basketball – This sport is popular around the world. The most popular professional basketball league is the NBA, where players receive an average of 4.58 million dollars yearly. Of course, NBA rosters require significantly fewer players per team as compared to other popular sports, so the teams can allocate more resources per player.
- Baseball – Baseball players in the biggest baseball leagues receive an average of above 4 million annually. Players also receive huge bonuses upon signing up with a big-league team.
- Hockey – Professional hockey players get a 50-50 split in revenue with the team owners. Add this to the fact that, like in basketball, hockey teams maintain a small roster of players. Because of these factors, professional hockey players are among the best-paid in the world.
- American Football – Although football is the most lucrative sport in the USA, NFL players receive comparably less than other major league sports players. This is because football teams have a large roster of players to maintain. Still, at an average of about 2.11 million dollars annually, it still is a favorable career path.
- Soccer – Soccer is arguably the most popular sport in the world, with a solid fan base across different continents. Top soccer players have consistently placed in the Forbes list of highest paid athletes.
Aside from massive contracts, professional athletes of the world’s major sports also earn millions in merchandise sales and product endorsements. These top players are paid with such absurd amounts of money simply because they are worth it. Teams with the most popular players often enjoy massive revenue from paying crowds and merchandise sales. It should also be noted that athletes have a relatively short careers. If you are interested in sport visit atdhe sports.